According to Cam Guthrie, Mayor of Guelph and the chairman of Large Urban Mayor’s Caucus of Ontario, municipalities across the province issued requests to the Ontario federal government about the terrible financial situation they are in but are left unanswered. They felt like the government is turning a blind ear on their plea.
The municipalities are forced to make meets end for their constituents and sacrificed laying off thousands of staff and reconsider service cuts due to unsecured funding from the government. Guthrie puts transit as an example. He said that they couldn’t keep it running the way it is because of the dire circumstances.
It can be remembered that earlier this month, the LUMCO estimated a $415 million revenue loss and proposed a relief plan that will focus on addressing this huge loss dating from April to June. Guthrie said that both government levels agreed on the plan, but it seems that the talks are dragging on. He said that the longer it takes, the harder it is for small municipalities to cope and recover. He felt like small municipalities are being caught in the middle of a stand-off between provincial and federal issues being passed among parties.
A report made by John Manconi asks the city’s transit commission on their meet on Monday that there is a strong need to make masks mandatory for all riders amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. Later, the city’s general manager of transportation services urges that plan should be implemented starting June 15.
Since the transit users and riders are asked to provide their masks, the city is contacting suppliers and working closely with Ottawa Public Health. This is to supply masks to those who don’t have access to a supply of masks. As a back-up plan, the OC Transpo will provide masks to the riders during the first week of implementation.
Transportation was reduced by 50 percent since March 25. But with the opening of major cities such as Ontario, who announced that they would be opening up the economy, the number of people using transportation is expected to increase.
Daily cleaning of the vehicles and station are also planned as well as barrier shields on buses. According to Dr. Vera Etches, the measures in place would have to remain until there is no longer any need to. Until then, the measures need to be firmly implemented to protect public health.
The council approved more than 1,350 to 1,650hectares of land for homebuilding to be added on the outskirts of Ottawa’s suburbs after it received a 15 to 6 vote on Wednesday. Along with the approved homebuilding land, the council also approved an endorsed growth plan for 402,000 resident accommodation. The council plans to set a residential intensification goal of 51 percent starting July 2018 to July 2046.
These plans will create new boundaries and will be composed of 1,281 hectares of residential land while the rest will be allotted for employment land, although the extension is already planned, Coun. Jan Harder said that they would provide a variety of housing. He said that planning isn’t about taking the people’s choice in what kind of house they wanted to live in. On the other hand, Coun. Rawlson King said that the city needs to focus more on the intensification since they need to know the cost of the expansion on the taxpayers.
Usually, expansions that will consume suburbs will raise the eyebrows of environmentalists. However, the impending protests are thwarted by the pandemic. The masses turned to social media protests and internet movements to demand the halt of the planned expansion.
An Ottawa police officer has the public’s eye and received dozens of complaints from his superiors after his wife threw sexual harassment allegations against Deputy Chief Uday Jaswal. He referred to the accusations as severe reprisals and the allegation result to the officer’s transfer in December.
Since the officer’s wife filed a complaint, two more women stepped forward and filed sexual harassment allegations against Deputy Chief Jaswal. All in all, he’d been charged under the Police Services Act with six counts of misconduct and caused him to be suspended. Although none of the allegations were proven, the service launches a project aiming to deal with workplace sexual harassment and seeks to protect victims who plan to come forward against possible reprisals.
The officer and his wife refrained from having their names publicized. The officer said he believed that Chief Sloly’s decision was intentionally designed to support Jaswal. When the OCPC learned about the officer’s statement, they asked Sloly through a letter sent in March to lay the documents related to the complaints against the deputy chief. According to OCPC, Sloly said that other documents are not needed to be laid as they are unrelated to the case.